[Python-ideas] Spelling of Assignment Expressions PEP 572 (was post #4)

Brendan Barnwell brenbarn at brenbarn.net
Sun Apr 15 17:18:33 EDT 2018

On 2018-04-15 08:58, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> I've been mulling over the question why I think the expression needs to
> come first here, whereas I'm satisfied with the target coming first for
> assignment statements, and I think I've finally got the words to explain
> it. It is not just long familiarity with maths and languages that put
> the variable first (although that's also part of it). It has to do with
> what we're looking for when we read code, specifically what is the
> primary piece of information we're initially looking for.

	Interesting.  I think your arguments are pretty reasonable overall.
But, for me, they just don't outweigh the fact that "->" is an ugly
assignment operator that looks nothing like the existing one, whereas
":=" is a less-ugly one that has the additional benefit of looking like
the existing one.  From your arguments I am convinced that putting the
expression first has some advantages, but they just don't seem as
important to me as they apparently do to you.

--
Brendan Barnwell
"Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no