[Python-ideas] Move optional data out of pyc files

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Apr 11 12:24:10 EDT 2018

On 4/11/2018 4:26 AM, Petr Viktorin wrote:

> Currently in Fedora, we ship *both* optimized and non-optimized pycs to
> make sure both -O and non--O will work nicely without root privilieges.
> So splitting the docstrings into a separate file would be, for us, a
> benefit in terms of file size.

Currently, the Windows installer has an option to pre-compile stdlib
modules.  (At least it does if one does an all-users installation.)  If
one selects this, it creates normal, -O, and -OO versions of each.
Since, like most people, I never run with -O or  -OO, replacing this
redundancy with 1 segmented file or 2 non-redundant files might be a win
for most people.

--
Terry Jan Reedy