[Python-ideas] if <expression> as <variable>

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 07:11:58 EDT 2017

On 7 September 2017 at 11:43, Denis Krienbühl <denis at href.ch> wrote:
> What I would love to see is the following syntax instead, which to me is much cleaner:
>
>    if computation() as result:
>        do_something_with_result(result)

Hi - thanks for your suggestion! This has actually come up quite a lot
in the past. Here's a couple of links to threads you might want to
read (it's not surprising if you missed these, it's not that easy to
come up with a good search term for this topic).

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2012-January/013461.html
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2009-March/003423.html
  (This thread includes a note by Guido that he intentionally left out
this functionality)

In summary, it's a reasonably commonly suggested idea, but there's not
enough benefit to warrant adding it to the language.

Paul