[Python-ideas] tarfile.extractall progress

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 09:34:24 EDT 2017

01.09.17 14:50, Tarek Ziadé пише:
> For large archives, I want to display a progress bar while the archive
> is being extracted with:
>
> https://docs.python.org/3/library/tarfile.html#tarfile.TarFile.extractall
>
> I could write my own version of extractall() to do this, or maybe we
> could introduce a callback option that gets called
> everytime .extract() is called in extractall()
>
> The callback can receive the tarinfo object and where it's being
> extracted. This is enough to plug a progress bar
> and avoid reinventing .extractall()

This is not enough if extract large files. In that case you perhaps want
to update the progress bar more often.

If add this feature to tarfile, it may be worth to add it to zipfile and
shutil functions (copytree, rmtree). And if call a callback for every
extracted/copied entity, it may be worth to use its result for filtering.