[Python-ideas] Composition over Inheritance

Thomas Jollans tjol at tjol.eu
Sat Oct 28 08:50:43 EDT 2017

On 28/10/17 14:19, Soni L. wrote:

> On 2017-10-28 09:51 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 09:09:30AM -0200, Soni L. wrote:
>>> As recent threads indicate, composition may sometimes be better than
>>> inheritance. And so I'd like to propose composition as a built-in
>>> feature.
>>>
>>> My idea is syntax of the form o.[c].m(), where o is an object, c is a
>>> component, m is a method.
>> How is that different from o.c.m() which works today?
>>
>> My understanding of composition is simply setting an attribute of your
>> instance to the component, then calling methods on the attribute. How
>> does that differ from what you are describing?
>>
>> Instead of the classic multiple-inheritence:
>>

>> class Car(Engine, AcceleratorPedal, GasTank, ...):
>>      pass
>>
>> which requires each superclass to be designed to work with each other
>>
>> (e.g. you can't have both EntertainmentSystem.start() and
>> Ignition.start(), unless you want the ignition to automatically turn on
>> when the entertainment system does)
>>
>> we can instead use composition and delegation:
>>
>> class Car:
>>      def __init__(self):
>>          self.engine = Engine()
>>          self.accelerator = AcceleratorPedal()
>>
>>      def start(self):
>>          # Delegate to the ignition component.
>>          self.ignition.start()
>>

>> etc. Obviously this is just a very loose sketch, don't take it too
>> literally. Is this the sort of thing you are talking about?
>
> So how do you call car.ignition.start() from car.key.turn()?

self.car.ignition.start() of course.

If the key has to do something involving the car, it has to know about
the car, so tell it about the car:

class Car:
    def __init__(self):
        self.engine = Engine()
        self.accelerator = AcceleratorPedal(self.engine)
        self.ignition = Ignition(self)
        self.key = Key(self)
        # and so on.

FWIW I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about. Please
provide an example that shows how you might create a "component" and use
it. Ideally, comparing it with an example of how you would currently so
the same thing in Python.