[Python-ideas] [Python-Dev] What's the status of PEP 505: None-aware operators?

Ivan Pozdeev vano at mail.mipt.ru
Thu Nov 30 12:02:08 EST 2017

On 29.11.2017 9:08, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 12:31:06PM -0800, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>>> I also cc python-dev to see if anybody here is strongly in favor or against this inclusion.
>> Put me down for a strong -1.  The proposal would occasionally save a
>> few keystokes but comes at the expense of giving Python a more Perlish
>> look and a more arcane feel.
> I think that's an unfair characterisation of the benefits of the PEP.
> It's not just "a few keystrokes".
>
> Ironically, the equivalent in Perl is // which Python has used for
> truncating division since version 2.4 or so. So if we're in danger of
> looking "Perlish", that ship has sailed a long time ago.
>
> Perl is hardly the only language with null-coalescing operators -- we
> might better describe ?? as being familiar to C#, PHP, Swift and Dart.
> That's two mature, well-known languages and two up-and-coming languages.
My experience with these operators in C# says:
* They do save "more than a few keystrokes". Even more importantly, they
allow to avoid double evaluation or the need for a temporary variable
workaround that are inherent in "<expr> if <expr> else <alternative>"
     * (An alternative solution for the latter problem would be an
assignment expression, another regularly rejected proposal.)
* They make it temptingly easy and implicit to ignore errors.
* They are alien to Python's standard semantics on search failure which
is to raise an exception rather than return None

--
Regards,
Ivan