[Python-ideas] Looking for input to help with the pip situation

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 05:01:33 EST 2017

On 10 November 2017 at 19:50, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 November 2017 at 08:01, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That tooling is venv:
>>
>> * it ensures you have "pip" on your PATH
>> * it ensures you have "python" on your PATH
>> * it ensures that you have the required permissions to install new packages
>> * it ensures that any commands you install from PyPI will be also on your PATH
>>
>> When we choose not to use venv, then it becomes necessary to ensure
>> each of those things individually for each potential system starting
>> state
>
> Currently, the reality is that people use virtualenv, not venv. All
> higher-level tools I'm aware of wrap virtualenv (to allow Python 2.7
> support). Enhancing the capabilities of venv is fine, but promoting
> venv over virtualenv involves technical challenges across the whole
> toolset, not just documentation/education.

We already assume there will be a step in understanding from "working
with the latest Python 3.x locally" to "dealing with multiple Python
versions". Switching from venv to virtualenv just becomes part of that
process (and will often be hidden behind a higher level tool like
pipenv, pew, or vex anyway).

Cheers,
Nick.