[Python-ideas] Looking for input to help with the pip situation

Michel Desmoulin desmoulinmichel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 02:09:23 EST 2017

Le 07/11/2017 à 14:06, אלעזר a écrit :
> On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 2:45 PM Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com
> <mailto:ncoghlan at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 7 November 2017 at 03:52, Michel Desmoulin
>     <desmoulinmichel at gmail.com <mailto:desmoulinmichel at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     > And assume that stuff in any tutorial you make they know this stuff.
>     >
>     > This is a strong barrier or entry IMO.
>
>     Sure, but it's not one we can readily fix - the user hostility of
>     command line environments and the compromises we have to make to abide
>     by platform conventions are in the hands of operating system vendors,
>     and there's only so much we can do to paper over those distinctions
>     when user lock-in and putting barriers in the way of cross-device
>     portability is a core part of commercial OS vendors' business models.
>

> I don't know if you are referring to Microsoft Windows here, but I want
> to note that from my personal experience the Windows subsystem for Linux
> ("Bash on Ubuntu on Windows") is easy to work with, so making Windows
> feel (CLI-wise) like Ubuntu is not so difficult. I'm not sure how easy
> it is for students to set up, but it is an option at least.

It doesn't solve anything:

- requires windows 10
- requires having the several Go install first
- mix windows and linux, making the whole thing confusing to beginers
- we still have the heterogenous setup between the 2 os being a problem.

I love WSL, but it's not a solution to that particular problem.