[Python-ideas] Proposal to change Python version release cycle

Brice Parent contact at brice.xyz
Mon Nov 6 06:53:48 EST 2017

Le 04/11/17 à 18:09, Chris Angelico a écrit :
> Python 1.0 was released in 1994. Then 2.0 came out in 2000 (six
> years), and 3.0 in 2008 (eight years). So far, we've been nine years
> into 3.0 and aren't looking at 4.0 yet, so it's going to be at least
> ten. If version 5.0 is another twelve years after that, and version
> 6.0 is fourteen later, we'll be looking for version 31.0 some time
> around the year 3000. I think we can let a future generation worry
> about pathing problems with DLL names.
>
> Seriously, I don't think there's any need to stress about version 31
> of something as stable as Python. No matter how long it*actually*  is
> between versions, it's going to be a lot longer than we can really
> plan for right now. In that much time,*anything*  could change.
I think the only problem we can reach here, not only in our lifetimes,
but in the next years, is not Python3.10 vs Python31.0 (Python3.x will
be long dead when we reach this point!), but the ordering of versions,
like (python310 < python40). But it probably is a false problem, as
after a two-digit minor version, we can fix the length of minor versions
to two digits when needed (python310 < python400).