[Python-ideas] Moving typing out of the stdlib in Python 3.7?

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Sun Nov 5 17:29:22 EST 2017

On Saturday, 4 November 2017 20:22:25 GMT Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 7:05 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Perhaps typing could switch to being a bundled module, such that it
> > had its own version, independent of the Python standard library
> > version, but was still present by default in new installations?
>
> This is beginning to sound like the most attractive solution. We could
> possibly do away with typing_extensions. Are there precedents of how to
> bundle a module in this way? Or is it going to be another special case like
> pip?

Is the outcome you want that you ship a version of typing with the python kit,
but if you install from pip it overrides the one shipped in the python kit?

That would be a matter of being having a suitable sys.path/site config I
guess. pip folder before the bundled packages folder.

If this is a mechanism that python kitting has then you would be able to
bundle other packages like requests or six as well as typing, but because
you can use pip to override the one shipped a user can optionally keep
up with the latest versions.

Barry