[Python-ideas] Membership of infinite iterators

Koos Zevenhoven k7hoven at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 14:29:56 EDT 2017

Let me add something to the discussion that we had last month about code
that cannot be interrupted with Ctrl-C or with the Jupyter Notebook
interrupt command etc. I wasn't completely sure if anyone cared much about
being able to interrupt long-running code and about things like atomic
operations etc., but maybe I'll just write this one down anyway while it's
still in my head:

As a reminder of what we discussed, for KeyboardInterrupt to happen, C code
needs to manually call PyErr_CheckSignals() regularly to handle signals,
but it might be too much overhead to do that in tight loops.  But where
does the overhead come from and what could perhaps be done? Read below:

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Koos Zevenhoven <k7hoven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 3:42 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 19 October 2017 at 08:34, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>
>> wrote:

>>> Is there really much overhead? Isn't it just checking a flag?
>>>

>> It's checking an atomically updated flag, so it forces CPU cache
>> synchronisation, which means you don't want to be doing it on every
>> iteration of a low level loop.
>>

> Even just that it's a C function call makes me not want to recommend doing
> it in a lot of tight loops. Who knows what the function does anyway, let
> alone what it might or might not do in the future.

​While what Nick states above about CPU cache synchronization doesn't sound
quite **right**, it may take a core developer a whole day to roughly figure
out if the statement is even **true**. In particular, it is not obvious if
it may **occasionally** be true, or if it is **always** true in **some
cases**, or if it's *sometimes* true in *all cases*.

The difficulties are partly because pyatomic.h [1] is "arranged" in layers
of branched C preprocessor directives [2], and because the whole of
pyatomic.h is in fact "deep magic", as is confirmed by a comment in the
beginning of the file. Some of the complexity has emerged after that
comment was already there.

SPOILER ALERT! At the moment, Nick's statement is in fact **always** true
in **all** cases (at least when ignoring untypical cases and some
inaccuracies in phrasing). ​Another question is whether the statement
**should** be true at all.​
​

PyErr_CheckSignals(), the function that checks for pending signals, now
**implicitly** uses the strictest possible memory-order requirement
(SEQ_CST) for checking the `is_tripped` flag, a value which can be used to
peek whether there are any pending signals. This means that two threads
that call PyErr_CheckSignals can't even **check** the value of that flag at
the same time, and they'll have to wait for each other and whatever the CPU
hardware implementation does for cache synchronzation.

​From a correctness point of view, that is absolutely great: if
PyErr_CheckSignals() is called, it is guaranteed to notice a new signal
regardles of how small the number of picoseconds after the `is_tripped`
flag has been set.  But is that really important? Do we really need things
to be slowed down by this? And do we want people to "optimize" code by
avoiding signal checking?

The signals won't be caught until checked anyway, and as we've seen, one
solution is to use a counter to determine if enough time has passed that
another check for potential signals should happen. That does, however,
raise the question of who should own the counter, and if it's OK for
multiple threads to use the same counter. If yes, then would we be able to
avoid slow atomic decrements (or increments)?

But another solution might be to make a less strict but almost equivalent
functionality with much less overhead. Something like this in a header file:

static inline int PyErr_PROBE_SIGNALS() {
    static int volatile *flag = (int volatile *) &is_tripped;
    if (*flag) {
        return PyErr_CheckSignals();
    }
    else {
        return 0;
    }
}

​Here, the flag is casted to volatile to force a check to happen each time
from memory/cache. However, to make it more standard and to make sure it
works with all compilers/platforms, it might be better to, instead of
*flag, use an atomic load with "MEMORY_ORDER_RELAXED".​ Another thing is
that `is_tripped`, which is currently declared as static inside
signalmodule.c [4], should somehow be exposed in the API to make it
available for the inline function in headers.

​This solution might be fast enough for a lot of cases, although still
slightly slower than the counter approach, at least if the counter approach
would completely avoid per-iteration memory access by requiring each
function to own the counter that is used for this.

So you read the whole email? Cool!

​––Koos​

​​[1] https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/master/Include/pyatomic.h

[2] C preprocessor code is kind of like commented-out Python code, except
that not even the Spanish Inquisition [3] expects you to indent ​the blocks
that they define.

[3] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf_Y4MbUCLY​

[4] https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/master/Modules/signalmodule.c

--