[Python-ideas] What about regexp string litterals : re".*" ?

Abe Dillon abedillon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 21:47:11 EDT 2017

> I feel like that borders on a bit too wordy...

I think the use of words instead of symbols is one of the things that makes
Python so readable. The ternary operator is done with words:

value = option1 if condition else option2

reads almost like English, while:

value = condition ? option1: option2;

Is just weird.

I can read Verbal Expressions very quickly and understand exactly what's
going on. If I have a decent IDE, I can write them almost as easily. I see
no problem with wordiness if it means I don't have to stare at the code and
scratch my head longer, or worse, open a reference to help me translate it
(which is invariably the case when I look at regular expressions).