[Python-ideas] Proposal: Query language extension to Python (PythonQL)

Pavel Velikhov pavel.velikhov at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 06:50:22 EDT 2017

Hi David

> On 25 Mar 2017, at 20:08, David Mertz <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote:
>
> I think it's extraordinarily unlikely that a big change in Python syntax to support query syntax will ever happen.  Moreover, I would oppose such a change myself.
>
> But just a change also really is not necessary.  Pandas already abstracts all the things mentioned using only Python methods.  It is true that Pandas sometimes does some black magic within those methods to get there; and it also uses somewhat non-Pythonic style of long chains of method calls.  But it does everything PythonQL does, as well as much, much more.  Pandas builds in DataFrame readers for every data source you are likely to encounter, including leveraging all the abstractions provided by RDBMS drivers, etc.  It does groupby, join, etc.

I work daily with pandas, so of course it does have the functionality that PythonQL introduces, its a completely different beast. One of the reasons I started with
PythonQL is because pandas is so difficult to master (just like any function-based database API would).

The key benefit of PythonQL is that with minimal grammar extensions you get the power of a real query language. So a Python programmer who knows
comprehensions well and has a good idea of SQL or other query languages can start writing complex queries right away.

With pandas you need to read the docs all the time and complex data transformations become incredibly cryptic.