[Python-ideas] Proposal: Query language extension to Python (PythonQL)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 07:35:53 EDT 2017

On 25 March 2017 at 11:24, Pavel Velikhov <pavel.velikhov at gmail.com> wrote:
> No, the current solution is temporary because we just don’t have the
> manpower to
> implement the full thing: a real system that will rewrite parts of PythonQL
> queries and
> ship them to underlying databases. We need a real query optimizer and smart
> wrappers
> for this purpose. But we’ll build one of these for demo purposes soon
> (either a Spark
> wrapper or a PostgreSQL wrapper).

One thought, if you're lacking in manpower now, then proposing
inclusion into core Python means that the core dev team will be taking
on an additional chunk of code that is already under-resourced. That
rings alarm bells for me - how would you imagine the work needed to
merge PythonQL into the core Python grammar would be resourced?

I should say that in practice, I think that the solution is relatively
niche, and overlaps quite significantly with existing Python features,
so I don't really see a compelling case for inclusion. The parallel
with C# and LINQ is interesting here - LINQ is a pretty cool
technology, but I don't see it in widespread use in general-purpose C#
projects (disclaimer: I don't get to see much C# code, so my
experience is limited).

Paul