[Python-ideas] Arguments to exceptions

Jeff Walker jeff.walker00 at yandex.com
Wed Jul 5 21:53:05 EDT 2017

Stephen,
    These statements do not ring true to me. I have been following the conversation
closely and I have not seen support for any of them. Perhaps I missed it.
Could you please expand on these statements:

>  the idea doesn't actually solve the problem it is intended to

Specifically Ken started by saying that it should not be necessary to parse the
messages to get the components of the message. He then gave an example
where he was able to access the components of the message without parsing
the message. So how is it that he is not solving the problem he intended to solve?

>  His solution can't work

Again, he gave an example where he was able to access the components of the
message without parsing the message. Yet you claim his solution cannot work.
Is his example wrong?

>  He hasn't demonstrated that there is a real problem

You yourself admitted that parsing a message to extract the components is
undesirable. Ken and others, including myself, gave examples where this was
necessary. Each example was given as either being a real problem or
representative of a real problem. Are we all wrong?

Jeff