[Python-ideas] Things that won't change (proposed PEP)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 23:04:32 EST 2017

On 13 January 2017 at 12:43, Stephen J. Turnbull
<turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:
> Mark E. Haase writes:
>
>  > I don't think an informational PEP would make threads like Python Review
>  > shorter and/or more productive. The OP clearly didn't do much research, so
>  > it seems unlikely he would read an informational PEP.
>
> But just saying "do your research" (which is quite reasonable without
> the informational PEP) is much less friendly than including the URL to
> the informational PEP in the kind of "canned response" you suggest.
> That's what Steven is aiming at.
>
> I'm not sure that a PEP is the best format, as the normal PEP process is
> not a good match for something that is likely to need to be updated as
> "good syntax" is discovered for ideas formerly considered un-Pythonic
> and other languages come up with neat new ideas that don't have
> obvious Pythonic syntax.  Andrew Barnert's blog post (thanks, Chris!)
> http://stupidpythonideas.blogspot.com/2015/05/why-following-idioms-matters.html
> is a good start, and Nick Coghlan's "Curious Efficiency" blog has
> related material, I think.  Perhaps pointers to those would be good.

Expanding on https://docs.python.org/devguide/langchanges.html would
likely be a more useful format than an informational PEP.

As a starting point,
https://docs.python.org/devguide/faq.html#suggesting-changes should
likely be consolidated into that page, and the FAQ entry simplified
into a link to a new subsection on that page.

Cheers,
Nick.