[Python-ideas] RFC: PEP 540 version 3 (Add a new UTF-8 mode)

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 10:25:56 EST 2017

> When using en_US.UTF-8 as fallback, pleas override only LC_CTYPE,
> instead of LC_ALL.
> As I described in other thread, LC_COLLATE may cause unintentional performance
> regression and behavior changes.

Does it work to use a locale with encoding A for LC_CTYPE and a locale
with encoding B for LC_MESSAGES (and others)? Is there a risk of
mojibake? Or do we expect that the POSIX locale speaks ASCII, and so
it should work for use UTF-8 for LC_CTYPE since UTF-8 is able to
decode messages encoded ASCII?

Victor