[Python-ideas] Python reviewed

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Mon Jan 9 20:50:07 EST 2017

On 1/9/17 8:44 PM, Simon Lovell wrote:

> Also in Python you can use:
>
> for x in range (1,j+1):
>
> to loop j times. Although it does read as though it is looping j+1
> times to those not familiar.
>
> One more comment I wanted to make about end blocks, is that a
> respectable editor will add them for you, together with the
> indentation of the next line. EditPlus 2 did it best in my experience
> although I think I just haven't seen a well configured alternative. I
> very rarely forget the block closer but I do sometimes forget the colon.
>
> Regarding the logical inconsistency of my argument, well I am saying
> that I would prefer my redundancy at the end of the loop rather than
> the beginning. To say that the status quo is better is to say that you
> prefer your redundancy at the beginning. Fair enough, I'm happy to
> respect your opinion there. I still struggle to see why it should be
> mandatory though? For those who prefer to have the block closing
> delimiters this way, is the need for a keyword (could be a command
> line option) really the objection?

Can you clarify something for us? Are you proposing to add end-block
syntax?  You've said you prefer it, and that you miss it. But you
haven't said, "I am proposing that Python should change."  This list is
about proposing changes to Python.  Are you proposing that Python change
in this way?

You understand that this is a significant shift from a syntax that has
been in place for a quarter century? Perhaps you should give yourself
time to get used to Python as Python is.

--Ned.