[Python-ideas] PEP 540: Add a new UTF-8 mode

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 07:01:21 EST 2017

> How common is this problem?

Last 2 or 3 years, I don't recall having be bitten by such issue.

On the bug tracker, new issues are opened infrequently.

* http://bugs.python.org/issue19977 opened at 2013-12-13, closed at 2014-04-27
* http://bugs.python.org/issue19846 opened at 2013-11-30, closed as
NOTABUG at 2015-05-17 22, but got new comments after it was closed
* http://bugs.python.org/issue19847 opened at 2013-11-30, closed as
NOTABUG at 2013-12-13
* http://bugs.python.org/issue28180 opened at 2016-09-16, still open

Again, I don't think that this list is complete, I recall other similar issues.

> I realise there is some attractiveness in solving the issue "for Python",
> since that will reduce the amount of bug reports
> and get people off the chests of the maintainers, but to get this fixed in
> the wider Linux ecosystem it might be preferable to
> "Let them eat mojibake", to paraphrase what Marie-Antoinette never said.

What do you mean by "eating mojibake"? Users complain because their
application is stopped by a Python exception. Currently, most Python 3
applications doesn't produce or display mojibake, since Python is
strict on outputs. (One exception: stdout with the POSIX locale since
Python 3.5).

Victor