[Python-ideas] Smart/Curly Quote Marks and cPython

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Thu Oct 27 15:40:44 EDT 2016

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016, at 14:28, Mikhail V wrote:
> So you need umlauts to describe an algorithm and to explain yourself in
> turkish?
> Cool story. Poor uncle Garamond spins in his coffin...

Why do you need 26 letters? The Romans didn't have so many. Hawaiian
gets by with half as many - even if you count the accented vowels and
the ʻokina it's still only 18.

Why upper and lower case? Do we *really* need digits, can't we just use
the first ten letters?

Allowing each language to use its own alphabet, even if any of them may
be inefficient and all of them together certainly are, is the only
reasonable place to draw the line.