[Python-ideas] Show more info when `python -vV`

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 14:21:03 EDT 2016

On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 4:52 AM, Sebastian Krause
<sebastian at realpath.org> wrote:
> Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>> The compiler information generally reveals the OS as well (if only
>> accidentally), and the OS is often useful information.
>
> But in which situation would you really need to call Python from
> outside to find out which OS you're on?

It's an easy way to gather info. Example:

rosuav at sikorsky:~$ python3 -Wall
Python 3.7.0a0 (default:897fe8fa14b5+, Oct 15 2016, 03:27:56)
[GCC 6.1.1 20160802] on linux
>>> "C:\Users\Demo"
  File "<stdin>", line 1
SyntaxError: (unicode error) 'unicodeescape' codec can't decode bytes
in position 2-3: truncated \UXXXXXXXX escape
>>> "C:\Documents\Demo"
sys:1: DeprecationWarning: invalid escape sequence '\D'
sys:1: DeprecationWarning: invalid escape sequence '\D'
'C:\\Documents\\Demo'

Just by copying and pasting the header, I tell every reader what kind
of system I'm running this on. Sure, I could tell you that I'm running
Debian Stretch, and I could tell you that I've compiled Python from
tip, but the header says all that and in a way that is permanently
valid.

ChrisA