[Python-ideas] Technical possibilities for a syntax [was: Reverse assignment operators ...]

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 04:14:53 EST 2016

On 17 November 2016 at 02:50, Stephen J. Turnbull
<turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:
> Matthias Bussoni writes:
>
>  > Please be mindful when replying, even if some of the lurker know
>  > who some of you are and can figure out that some of the reply to
>  > this thread below this message are sarcastic, not all readers
>  > can. Your messages can also be cited out of context.
>
> Mikhail has long since gone past the point where further posts from
> him deserve such consideration.  Replying to Paul Moore when
> deprecating "sarcastic" replies is just bad manners; Paul is never
> intentionally sarcastic that I can remember.

For the record, I didn't take Matthias' comment personally. I presumed
that the main focus of his comment was the sub-thread that was hinting
towards "NumPy is weird" - some of the comments in there lacked enough
context. But regardless, his point was entirely fair - even something
as simple as a trimmed quote in email can make a comment mean
something quite different from the original intent, so it pays
everyone to think carefully about what they say.

Oh, and by the way, if you think I'm never sarcastic, you've never met
me face to face ;-) I take way more care with my tone in emails than I
do in real life!

Paul