[Python-ideas] Fwd: Make parenthesis optional in parameterless functions definitions

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Mar 31 19:22:40 EDT 2016

Alexander Walters <tritium-list at sdamon.com>
writes:

> are the two extra keystrokes really a problem?

Who said the keystrokes are a problem? Not the original poster.

Instead, the issue raised is of readability:

> On 3/31/2016 12:29, Mahan Marwat wrote:
> > The less awkward characters we have, the more readable our code will
> > be (Beautiful is better then ugly). Some people argued that function
> > definition with parenthesis seems to them natural. But actually it
> > seems to us natural, because we have been used to it a-lot. IMHO
> > parenthesisless functions definitions are natural and readable.

No mention of keystrokes. I'm endlessly disappointed that discussions of
“too much noise in the code” are mis-interpreted as *only* about
writing, not about reading.

--
 \       “Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish |
  `\                                            the rest.” —Mark Twain |