[Python-ideas] Integrate some itertools into the Python syntax

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Mar 29 18:17:09 EDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> With the additional changes to builtins in 3.0, there has definitely been
> a shift of emphasis from lists and sequences to iterables and iterators.

Exactly my point -- and I think there ARE place in the language where we
could make that more obviou san natural -- maybe not this place though.

> Because of the difference between non-destructive and destructive slicing,

This is a great way to describe the difference. Note that there is also a
distinction between destructive and nondestructive looping:

for item in an_iterable:
    do_something(item)
    if some_condition:
        break

may leave an_iterable alone, and may leave it in a different state
depending on if an_iterable is a sequence or an actual iterator.

Even so -- I agree that it's probably not a good idea to re-use the slicing
syntax for "destructive slicing."

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov