[Python-ideas] Integrate some itertools into the Python syntax

Michael Selik mike at selik.org
Tue Mar 22 11:23:31 EDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 8:52 AM Michel Desmoulin <desmoulinmichel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Le 22/03/2016 06:49, Michael Selik a écrit:
> >> On Mar 21, 2016, at 7:06 PM, Michel Desmoulin <
> desmoulinmichel at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> if you need more, then you need itertools. Few people know about it, so
> >> usually see duplicate loops and conversion to lists/tuples.
> >
> > Why do you think the new syntax you're suggesting will be more
> discoverable and therefore more well known than the itertools module?
> >

> It's a gut feeling really, coming from the fact I train people in Python
> for a living.
>
> I may be wrong, I can't finance a study with a big representative sample
> to prove it. But again, nobody can do so for anything on this list.

Luckily we have the case of set.union and set.intersection versus the pipe
and ampersand operators. One way you could provide some evidence is
comparing the frequency of usage of the method vs operator in public
projects. We might need to then discard code examples written by experts
from our analysis, but it'd be a start.