[Python-ideas] PEP 484 evolution

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 10:28:54 EDT 2016

On Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 8:27:33 AM UTC-5, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> Rick,  PEP 484 has been discussed and discussed and
> discussed here, and on Python-Dev. To avoid boring
> everyone else to death, I suggest you raise your initial
> questions on the python-list mailing list

My last two responses should have cleared that up...

> (comp.lang.python newsgroup). If you raise them there, I
> promise I'll answer. (I think other c.l.p regulars ChrisA
> and Terry are also familiar enough with PEP 484 to answer
> your questions.)

Well thanks for offering to help, and at some point i may
start a thread over there, or on my blog, but if i do it
now, in the state of shock that i'm in, it will be an
expletive laced tirade of epic proportions. I'm far too
emotional at this time to maintain even a *MODICUM* of
civility in an unmoderated forum, and as time goes on, i'm
only going to become more angry if a proper audience is not
offered for this grievance.

> Then, once you have a better grasp of the background, you
> can come back here with any questions about Guido's newer
> proposals.  Consider that just a suggestion for the sake
> of keeping discussion here focused on the newest parts of
> the PEP, rather than going over old ground.

I don't understand why this group is not the appropriate
place to discuss matters concerning Python. Even a
discussion that revolves around the subjects of "is type-
hints a good idea", or "could we implement type-hints
without violating our fundamental philosophy" seems highly
appropriate here, and if we move over to Python-list (as you
request), we will loose the valuable input of Guido, because
he does not participate on that list in any form.

@Guido I beseech you to at *MINIMUM* reconsider this
implementation. Put it on hold for a short time. It is not
too late to prevent catastrophe. I assure you, we can add
type-hints, and even optional typing, without violating
Python's fundamental philosophy. But once this feature
propagates, in its currently form, you can't just press the
"undo button". We cannot allow Python to became another
"cookie cutter language". We must ask ourselves, "What is it
that makes Python *DIFFERENT*"? "What is it that makes
Python *SPECIAL*? If you composed a list, starting with the
most important features that make Python special, ask
yourself -- were would "type-hints" be on that list? Would
it even be *ON* the list? I believe type hints is a welcomed
addition to "Python's evolution", but not in any form that
will undermine the attributes that make Python so special.

At *LEAST* entertain a new discussion.

A new discussion that invites *ALL* members to participate,
regardless of "status"

That's all i'm asking...

And if the implementation goes ahead "as is", at least those
who object, will get the audience they deserve, and will be
content knowing that they did everything in their power to
prevent catastrophe.