[Python-ideas] Make py.exe default to Python 3

Michel Desmoulin desmoulinmichel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 09:59:56 EDT 2016

Le 16/03/2016 03:10, Jonathan Goble a écrit :
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 9:59 PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
> <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
>> The reality is that MS has not updated the GUI for setting PATH since
>> Windows 3.1 as far as I can tell. It sucks.
>
> Actually, Windows 10 (or at least Windows 10 with the latest updates)
> introduced a much, MUCH nicer interface for PATH editing.
>
> Here's a screenshot: http://snag.gy/WH4Oj.jpg

> With this interface, one can edit individual entries (an edit to the
> Python 2.7 \Scripts folder in the system PATH is in progress in this
> screenshot), use the browse button to select new folders via GUI,
> tweak the order of the list, easily remove entries, and so forth. The
> details of the plaintext version of PATH that one would use at the
> command prompt are hidden behind the "edit text" button. I recently
> performed a massive cleanup to my PATHs after discovered this new
> interface, and it was really easy.

I noticed that last month, and it's a good thing, but universities and
companies are not going to upgrade for years (if they do it at all).
Most of my students, when using windows, are using Windows 7. A few is
running Vista or 8. Sometime, I meet some XP (yeah, I know). I only met
one using Windows 10, and it was his own laptop.

Plus fixing a way to fix a problem is, while improving the situation,
probably not the best way to look at the situation.