[Python-ideas] Smoothing transition to Python 3

Thomas Güttler guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
Tue Jun 7 14:27:52 EDT 2016

Am 07.06.2016 um 13:34 schrieb Steven D'Aprano:
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 12:42:44PM +0200, Thomas Güttler wrote:
>
>> I am not married with Python. Up to now I see no alternative for me,
>> but I guess sooner or later I will switch to a different
>> language.
>>
>> I see only few benefits from porting my code to Python3. I will
>> use Python2 at least for the next 12 months.
>
> That's your right, of course. Some people love to experiment with new
> languages, some don't. But...
>
> What will this other language be, and what does it offer that makes it
> better than Python 3?

I would love to see "compile to javascript" support.

I would love to see a package management that is easy to use and which
focuses on simple data structures.

> When you move to Language X, will you re-write your code to X, or leave
> it in Python 2 forever?

I guess I will use language X for a new project.

> If the answer is "re-write in X", do you think that will be easier than
> porting it to Python 3?
>
> If the answer is "leave it in Python 2 forever", then why can't you do
> that for your existing code and write new code in Python 3?

I could write new code in Python3, but I see big no benefit. (I
see benefit, but no big)

Does Python3 run in web browsers? Or is it possible to compile it to
javascript?

I guess I will port my python2 code to python3 sooner or later. If
Django drops support for Python2, then I will do it.

Regards,
  Thomas Güttler

--
http://www.thomas-guettler.de/