[Python-ideas] size of the installation of Python on mobile devices

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 07:13:28 EDT 2016

On 29 July 2016 at 19:51, Xavier de Gaye <xdegaye at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be useful to know the other reasons why a sourceless
> distribution is discouraged, so we might fix them. And if they cannot be
> fixed then issue 26852 can be closed.

"It currently makes debugging a pain" is the reason why we (Fedora &
Red Hat) chose not to go for a sourceless distribution of the standard
library as a way of reducing the default image size for the base
Fedora Cloud and Atomic images.

However, that's technically a solvable problem - given a traceback
without source contents, we (python-dev) could provide a way to
regenerate it against a full distribution with source code (similar to
the way folks are able to map stack dumps in other compiled languages
back to the relevant pieces of source code).

It's also only an argument for folks to take into account when they
consider "sourceless or not?" for their particular use case, rather
than an argument against making sourceless distribution for size
optimisation purposes easier in general.

Cheers,
Nick.