[Python-ideas] proper naming of Enum members

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Jul 18 14:35:03 EDT 2016

On Jul 18, 2016, at 08:17 AM, Ethan Furman wrote:

>Take the name "NewYear": if it had been a global constant I would have named
>it "NEWYEAR"; if it had been a normal class attribute I would have named it
>"new_year"; however, being an Enum member, it is neither of those things.

Since in my code at least, I always include the enum class name at the call
site, underscore_words for enum members is just fine.

class Action(Enum):
    hold = 0
    reject = 1
    discard = 2
    accept = 3
    defer = 4

    if action in (Action.defer, Action.hold):
        # ...
    elif action is Action.discard:
        # ...
    elif action is Action.reject:
        # ...
    elif action is Action.accept:
        # ...

and so on.  Make the code less shifty :).

Cheers,
-Barry