[Python-ideas] allow `lambda' to be spelled λ

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 23:31:52 EDT 2016

> On Jul 13, 2016, at 9:44 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
>
> Which means that programmers will
> find themselves split into two camps: those who can easily type λ, and
> those that cannot.

We already have two camps: those who don't mind using "lambda" and those who would only use "def."

I would expect that those who will benefit most are people who routinely write expressions that involve a lambda that returns a lambda that returns a lambda.  There is a niche for such programming style and using λ instead of lambda will improve the readability of such programs for those who can understand them in the current form.

For the "def" camp, the possibility of a non-ascii spelling will serve as yet another argument to avoid using anonymous functions.