[Python-ideas] allow `lambda' to be spelled λ

Pavol Lisy pavol.lisy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 01:43:10 EDT 2016

On 7/12/16, Stephan Houben <stephanh42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Here is my speculative language idea for Python:
>
> Allow the following alternative spelling of the keyword `lambda':

> (That is "Unicode Character 'GREEK SMALL LETTER LAMDA' (U+03BB).")
>
> Background:
>
> I have been using the Vim "conceal" functionality with a rule which
> visually
> replaces lambda with λ when editing Python files. I find this a great
> improvement in
> readability since λ is visually less distracting while still quite
> distinctive.
> (The fact that λ is syntax-colored as a keyword also helps with this.)
>
> However, at the moment the nice syntax is lost when looking at the file
> through another editor or viewer.
> Therefore I would really like this to be an official part of the Python
> syntax.

1.
What is future of coding?

I feel it is not only language what could translate your ideas into reality.

Artificial intelligence in (future) editors (and also vim conceal) is
probably right way to enhance your coding power (with lambdas too).

2.
If we like to enhance python syntax with Unicode characters then I
think it is good to see larger context. There is ocean of
possibilities how to make it. (probably good possibilities too). For
example Unicode could help to add new operators. But it also brings a
lot of questions (how to write Knuth's arrow on my editor?) and
difficulties (how to give possibilities to implement class functions
for this (*) new operators? How to make for example triple arrow
possible?).

I propose to be prepared before opening Pandora's box. :)

(*) all of it? And it means probably all after future enhancement of
Unicode too?

3.
Questions around "only one possibilities how to write it" could be
probably answered with this?

  a<b
  a.__lt__(b)