[Python-ideas] A bit meta

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sun Jan 31 13:54:16 EST 2016

> On Jan 31, 2016, at 1:39 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>
> On Jan 31, 2016, at 10:35 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
>> Maybe the software is totally open, but the community doesn't feel
>> that way. hen I forayed into it briefly felt hostile to people who
>> don't have the right personality to be online 24/7.
>
> It's probably a lot like FLOSS communities in general.  Some are very open,
> patient, and accepting, and others aren't.  Maybe we're spoiled here in the
> Pythonia.  :)

Eh, I think IRC as a protocol tends to be hostile to people who can't have some
method of being online 24/7 (even if it's via a bouncer and they aren't
physically there). I think it's why you see more projects using things like
Slack or gitter instead of IRC. You can sort of recreate some of this using
log bots and/or bouncers and the like, but I think one of the things we're
seeing across all of F/OSS is that for the newer generation of developers, UX
matters, in  many cases more than F/OSS does and they're less willing to put up
with bad UX. I think it is why you see so many people developing software on
OS X that they plan to deploy to Linux, why you see people preferring GitHub
over other solutions, why Slack over IRC, etc.

Donald Stufft