[Python-ideas] A bit meta

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Jan 31 12:40:36 EST 2016

On Jan 30, 2016, at 04:09 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>> For example, many years ago I missed a discussion about something I cared
>> about and only accidentally took notice when I saw a commit message in my
>> inbox.  When I asked about why the issue had never been mentioned on
>> python-dev, I was told that everything was hashed out in great detail on the
>> tracker.  I didn't even realize that I wasn't getting email notifications of
>> new tracker issues, so I never saw it until it was too late.
>
>That might have been a lapse in judgement for that particular issue?

I actually don't remember the details, just that it happened.  But the fact
that a lot of smaller details are discussed primarily or solely on the tracker
is totally fine and all good!  I think we do a much better job of advertising
it now.  Hopefully everyone knows that to stay involved at that level of
detail, sign up for new-issue notifications and nosey yourself in on the
topics you care about.

Agreed with you about the rest of what you said, except perhaps for:

>A lot of stuff used to (or still does) happen in IRC, which (as you
>know) I utterly hate and can't stand. But chat systems still serve a
>purpose, and if people want to use them we can't stop them.

Yep.  We have similar discussions internally.

I actually don't mind IRC since I have a good client (bip + Emacs/ERC) and I
do live on dozens of channels for work.  It can get a little spammy at times,
but I find them relatively effective at getting or giving focused, short-term
help.  IRC doesn't work as well for bigger collaborations.  But IRC does have
the advantage of being totally open and accessible via numerous clients, so
information can't be too exclusive or owned.

Cheers,
-Barry