[Python-ideas] A bit meta

Ian Lee ianlee1521 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 04:01:31 EST 2016

> On Jan 30, 2016, at 00:50, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 7:47 PM, Ian Lee <ianlee1521 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Such a repository could address a number of items brought up above,
>> including providing a permanent link to artifacts: comments and threads
>> (issues in the issue tracker). The ability to watch the entire “repo"
>> (mailing list) and unsubscribe to “issues” (threads) that are no longer
>> interesting to a watcher (similarly to the way “muting” works in Gmail). Or
>> vice versa, have notifications off by default and able to opt into
>> notifications if something interesting catches your eye.
>
> How do you change the subject line to indicate that the topic has
> drifted (or is a spin-off), while still appropriately quoting the
>
> Most web-based discussion systems are built around a concept of
> "initial post" and "replies", where the replies always tie exactly to
> one initial post. The branching of discussion threads never seems to
> work as well as it does in netnews or email.

True, you don’t get quite as nice forking of issues, though other solutions mentioned (e.g. StackOverflow) would have similar issues.

Off the cuff, I’d suggest that this linking could be handled by creating a new issue which linked to the old issue [1] with something like “continuing from #12345 …”. This would actually provide an improvement over the current email approach which only really provides a link from the forked thread back to the original, by creating a reference / link to the forked issue in the original, e.g. how [2] and [3] are linked.

[1] https://help.github.com/articles/autolinked-references-and-urls/#issues-and-pull-requests <https://help.github.com/articles/autolinked-references-and-urls/#issues-and-pull-requests>

[2] https://github.com/python/typing/issues/135 <https://github.com/python/typing/issues/135>

[3] https://github.com/python/typing/issues/136 <https://github.com/python/typing/issues/136>

~ Ian Lee | IanLee1521 at gmail.com <mailto:IanLee1521 at gmail.com>