[Python-ideas] A bit meta

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Jan 29 11:34:42 EST 2016

On 01/29/2016 08:19 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I do have to say I find the idea of using a dedicated StackExchange
> site intriguing. I have been a big fan of its cofounder Joel Spolsky
> for many years. A StackExchange discussion has some advantages over a
> thread in a mailing list -- it's got a clear URL that everyone can
> easily find and reference (as opposed to the variety of archive sites
> that are currently used), and there is a bit more structure to the
> discussion (question, answers, comments). I believe there are some
> good examples of other communities of experts that have really
> benefited (e.g. mathoverflow.net).

I am also a big fan of StackExchange, but the StackExchange sites are
about questions and answers, while Python-Ideas is about ideas and
discussion.

Given that extensive comments on a question or answer is discouraged,
multiple answers trying to follow a thread of discussion would be
confusing, and the person asking the question would be the one selecting
the "approved" answer (which may have nothing to do with the actual
outcome), I don't see this as being a good fit.

--
~Ethan~