[Python-ideas] More friendly access to chmod

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 05:23:35 EST 2016

On 10 January 2016 at 08:19, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 3:51 AM, Mahmoud Hashemi <mahmoud at hatnote.com> wrote:
>> I think it's a pretty common itch! Have you seen the boltons implementation?
>> http://boltons.readthedocs.org/en/latest/fileutils.html#file-permissions
>
> Yes it is, and no I haven't; everyone has a slightly different idea of
> what makes a good API, and that's why I put that caveat onto my
> suggestion. You can't make everyone happy, and APIs should not be
> designed by committee :)

In the context of Python as a cross-platform language, it's also
important to remember that POSIX-style user/group/other permissions
are only one form of file level access control - depending on your
filesystem and OS, there will be a range of others.

That significantly reduces the motivation to try to provide a platform
independent abstraction for an inherently platform specific concept
(at least in the standard library - PyPI is a different matter).

Cheers,
Nick.