[Python-ideas] RFC: PEP: Add dict.__version__

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 20:36:20 EST 2016

> If CPython is already faster than PyPy for hg, and your optimization makes it faster, then you've got a great answer for "why should anyone care about making CPython a little faster?" Can you benchmark that, or at least a toy app that simulates the same kind of work?

My optimizer now has a good library to implement optimizations, but I
didn't start to implement optimizations which will provide real
speedup on real applications. I expect a speedup with function
inlining, detecting pure functions, elimination of "unused" variables
(after constant propagation), etc.

In short, since the optimizer is "incomplete", I don't even want to
start playing with benchmarks. You can play with microbenchmarks if
you want. Try FAT Python, it's a working Python 3.6:
https://faster-cpython.readthedocs.org/fat_python.html

Currently, you have to run it with "-X fat" to enable the optimizer.
But the command line argument may change, I'm still working on the
API.

Victor