[Python-ideas] How exactly does from ... import ... work?

u8y7541 The Awesome Person surya.subbarao1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 00:32:49 EST 2016

Suppose I have a file called randomFile.py which reads like this:
class A:
    def __init__(self, foo):
        self.foo = foo
        self.bar = bar(foo)
class B(A):
    pass
class C(B):
    pass
def bar(foo):
    return foo + 1

Suppose in another file in the same directory, I have another python
program.

from randomFile import C

# some code

When C has to be imported, B also has to be imported because it is the
parent. Therefore, A also has to be imported. This also results in the
function bar being imported. When from ... import ... is called, does
Python follow all the references and import everything that is needed, or
does it just import the whole namespace (making wildcard imports acceptable
:O)?

--
-Surya Subbarao