[Python-ideas] PEP 536 – Call for help and improvement

Philipp A. flying-sheep at web.de
Fri Dec 23 11:03:15 EST 2016

Hi Python Ideas,

And merry christmas!

Once upon a time – in August this year – I started a (somewhat badly
titled) thread about improving the f-string grammar:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2016-August/041727.html

Luckily it resulted in an interim grammar change that invalidated a
misleading property of the original grammar: To the rejoicing of syntax
highlighters and humans everywhere, it’s no longer possible to escape
syntactically relevant characters such as the f-string braces:
f'\x7bvariable}'

Now I created a PEP that makes f-strings work just like every other
languages’ string interpolation; enabling arbitrary nesting of python
expressions in the expression parts of f-strings:
https://github.com/python/peps/blob/master/pep-0536.txt

All I want for christmas is your help: Please tell me how to improve
wording, structure, or clarity of my PEP’s message (ideally via PR to
https://github.com/flying-sheep/peps)

I fear going forward I will also need guidance for the implementation part,
as my only close-to-the-metal experiences are dabbling in C++, and the
higher-level language Rust.

Thank you and happy holidays!
Philipp