[Python-ideas] SI scale factors in Python

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Aug 26 23:48:29 EDT 2016

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 03:23:24PM -0700, Ken Kundert wrote:

> Second, I concede that there is some chance that users may be lulled into
> a false sense of complacency and that some dimensional errors would get missed
> by these otherwise normally very diligent users. But I would point out that
> I have been intensively using and supporting languages that provide this feature
> for 40 years and have never seen it.

In your first post, you said that there were no languages at all
that supported units as a language feature, and suggested that Python
should lead the way here:

  I find it a little shocking that no programming languages offer this
  feature yet

Now you say you've been using these "languages" plural for forty years.
Would you like to rephrase your claim? I am unable to reconcile the
discrepency.

(There are three languages that I know of that support units as a first
class language feature, RPL, Frink and Fortress. None of them are 40
years old.)

--
Steve