[Python-ideas] Fix default encodings on Windows

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Aug 18 18:05:11 EDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 6:23 AM, Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org> wrote:

> "You consistently ignore Makefiles, .ini, etc."
>
> Do people really do open('makefile', 'rb'), extract filenames and try to
> use them without ever decoding the file contents?

I'm sure they do :-(

But this has always confused me - back in the python2 "good old days" text
and binary mode were exactly the same on *nix -- so folks sometimes fell
into the trap of opening binary files as text on *nix, and then it failing
on Windows but I can't image why anyone would have done the opposite.

So in porting to py3, they would have had to *add* that 'b' (and a bunch of
b'filename') to keep the good old bytes is text interface.

Why would anyone do that?

Honestly confused.

I've honestly never seen that, and it certainly looks like the sort of
> thing Python 3 was intended to discourage.

exactly -- we really don't need to support folks reading text files in
binary mode and not considering encoding...

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov