[Python-ideas] From mailing list to GitHub issues

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Aug 13 12:26:16 EDT 2016

I don't have time to respond at length, but I would just like to mention
that I'm actually pretty tired of email threads getting off the rails and
wouldn't mind looking at other approaches, including possibly a dedicated
GitHub tracker (*not* the cpython or peps repo's tracker). There are other
possible solutions too, e.g. discourse or MailMan3 + HyperKitty.

Like Chris, I live in my inbox and everything of importance must come
through there or I won't know about it, but that doesn't imply to me that
it's the best way to manage discussions. I frequently go to the website
(e.g. GitHub, bugs.python.org, discourse) for a better UI to peruse and
manage a discussion.

A few projects I'm on have no mailing list, only GitHub trackers, and they
seem to work well for a variety of purposes, including newbie help, bugs,
philosophical discussions, and debates on the future shape of  specific
features. It takes away the whole "is this a bug or is it a feature"
insecurity that many people have before posting to a tracker (often out of
fear of annoying the developers) -- you just post to the tracker and
someone will triage it, and your head won't be bitten off.

That's all I have time for.

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)