[Python-ideas] Trial balloon: adding variable type declarations in support of PEP 484

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 13:29:17 EDT 2016

On 3 August 2016 at 17:26, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> But here you're thinking with your runtime hat on

Yep, that's the mistake I was making. Thanks for clarifying.

I've yet to actually use a type checker[1], so I'm still not used to
thinking in terms of "typecheck-time" behaviour.

Paul

[1] Off-topic, but I'm not sure if type annotations are powerful
enough (yet) to track bytes vs str sufficiently to help with resolving
Python 2 -> Python 3 string handling errors. When I get a chance to
confirm that's possible, I definitely have some candidate codebases
I'd like to try my hand with :-)