[Python-ideas] Welcome to the "Python-ideas" mailing list

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Apr 15 13:05:15 EDT 2016

On 04/15/2016 09:57 AM, Richard Prosser wrote:

> Is there any mileage in having a naming convention to indicate the type
> of a variable? I have never really liked the fact that the Python 'duck
> typing' policy is so lax, yet the new "Type Hints" package for Python 3
> is rather clumsy, IMO.

Hungarian notation can be very helpful if used meaningfully.  Your
examples are good:

word_count  (not int_count)

github_result (not str_result)

However, it is still a style question, and as such it will not be
added/enforced by Python.

If you just want to discuss the merits of Hungarian Notation then
Python-List is a better place to go.

--
~Ethan~