[Python-ideas] Package reputation system

Pavol Lisy pavol.lisy at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 05:16:08 EDT 2016

[...]
> Back at Georgia Tech, my professor [0] once told me that the way to get rich
> is to invent an index.

> On 4/1/2016 09:07, Nick Coghlan wrote:
[...]
>> By contrast, I think Python itself covers too many domains for a
>> common rating system to be feasible - "good for education" is not the
>> same as "good for sysadmin tasks" is not the same as "good for data
>> analysis" is not the same as "good for network service development",
>> etc.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nick.
> Not that this was the original proposal, but there can be such a thing
> as a universal 'bad' package, though.  So about the only thing that a
> universal package rating system can do effectively is shame developers.
> I don't think we want that.

1. There is not only good-bad dimension.

beauty-ugly, simple-complex, flat-nested (and others from PEP20)

trusted-untrusted is one from others.

2. Art critics are not to shame artists. Constructive criticism could
help authors too. It is not benefit only for "customers". One who
wants invent index to get rich could probably invent this job (Python
critic) too.

3. pypi has number of downloads for day, week and month. If there is
public api to data - one could make graphs, trends, etc and public
them. If they will be nice then they probably could be included on
pypi site too.