[Python-ideas] Python's Source of Randomness and the random.py module Redux

Andrew Barnert abarnert at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 10 02:19:20 CEST 2015

Deprecating the module-level functions has one problem for backward compatibility: if you're using random across multiple modules, changing them all from this:

    import random

... to this:

    from random import DeterministicRandom
    random = DeterministicRandom()

... gives a separate MT for each module. You can work around that by, e.g., providing your own myrandom.py that does that and then using "from myrandom import random" everywhere, or by stashing a random_inst inside the random module or builtins or something and only creating it if it doesn't exist, etc., but all of these are things that people will rightly complain about.

One possible solution is to make DeterministicRandom a module instead of a class, and move all the module-level functions there, so people can just change their import to "from random import DeterministicRandom as random". (Or, alternatively, give it classmethods that create a singleton just like the module global.)

For people who decide they want to switch to SystemRandom, I don't think it's as much of a problem, as they probably won't care that they have a separate instance in each module. (And I don't think there's any security problem with using multiple instances, but I haven't thought it through...) So, the change is probably only needed in DeterministicRandom.

There are hopefully better solutions than that. But I think some solution is needed. People who have existing code (or textbooks, etc.) that do things the "wrong" way and get a DeprecationWarning should be able to easily figure out how to make their code correct.

Sent from my iPhone