[Python-ideas] Non-English names in the turtle module.

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Sep 5 10:46:20 CEST 2015

Chris Angelico writes:

 > If someone's just learning to program, surely s/he can learn on
 > Python 3 rather than Python 2.

In any case, I could replace "2.7" with the (not yet released!) "3.5".
'nuff said, yet?<wink />

Anyway, "learn with Python 3" is what we advocate, but the reality is
otherwise in some places, and many platforms (eg, Mac).  None of my
students download Python 3 until I tell them to.  They thought the
system Python would be as "up to date" as the "Retina" display!  I
wouldn't be surprised if there aren't a lot of Mac systems in schools
where many teachers just use the Python that is already there, and are
far more likely to "pip tortuga" than they are to install a whole
parallel Python 3.