[Python-ideas] "else if" as equivalent for "elif"

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 26 00:32:09 EDT 2015

On 24/10/2015 09:39, Sven R. Kunze wrote:
> On 23.10.2015 18:09, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> It's a big deal due to opportunity cost - any time that is spent on
>> making a second spelling of "elif" possible is time not spent working
>> on something that directly improves developer productivity (like
>> format strings) or application correctness (like gradual typing
>> support).
>
> 1) I may re-iterate. Such thinking is dangerous. It could mean
> standstill. It prevents thinking and progress. That is python-ideas; not
> python-controlling.
>
> 2) Is Python not an open-source project? Could not anybody contribute?
> To me that means, the sky is the limit.
>
> 3) Well, that the features you mentioned really do what they promise can
> be only be proved if they are implemented and used. So, we will see how
> they fare. Same, btw., would be for "else if". All of your and mine
> great thoughts are just that: thoughts, assumptions, arguments. Not facts.

I have a very strong feeling that you haven't got the faintest idea how
the Python development process works, from the time that an idea gets
put forward here, until the first full release with that shiny new
feature that everybody has been wanting for since forever.

To me the most important thing that needs sorting is the core workflow.
  Sure other things need doing, but to me "else if" doesn't even get on
the bottom of the infinitely long list of Python jobs that need doing.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence