[Python-ideas] secrets module -- secret.keeper?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Oct 2 02:46:54 CEST 2015

On 10/1/2015 1:12 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 01:55:49PM -0400, Jim J. Jewett wrote:
>
>> Will the secrets module offer any
>> a getpass that works even in IDLE?

> I would expect that if getpass doesn't work in IDLE, that's a bug (in
> IDLE or getpass, I'm not sure :-)

Since Jim did not explain the implied 'does not work' I will guess that
'works' means replacing all typed or pasted chars with '*' before they
are echoed to the screen.  One can do this with tk(inter) and, I
presume, any or all gui frameworks in use with Python.  Text mode is
tricker as system-specific commands are needed, and they may not work
when tk (or another gui framework?) has control of the keyboard and
screen.

--
Terry Jan Reedy